Sunday, January 6, 2013

2013 Boston Convention Highlights


Hello Everybody!         How to talk about Boston. I’m leaving the Bay State today, heading off to Logan Airport and then back to Illinois. Thank you to all those who have supported me thus far in my interviewing and job searching. It’s been hectic, and this blog post is an attempt to talk about some of that for those who haven’t had the benefit of my recaps on the phone. It’s also something of a permanent record for me that I will look back on in times to come. So, Boston … if you’ve never been there, know that it’s expensive. Even residents admit that it’s comparatively expensive. That being said, I found it to be a place with a sense of its heritage and identity. Boston definitely knows where it comes from.

 

            I landed at Logan just before 4:00 on Wednesday afternoon, and the first thing I heard was the Boston accent. Anyone who knows me at all knows how passionate I am about accents, and I couldn’t resist. I find that if I tell people that I do language and linguistics and that accents are interesting to me, they open up. So I got three people’s tips on my own Boston accent while I was here starting with Gale in the airport. Some of you may be cringing, imagining this conversation, but being a linguist, I can ask about sounds and vowels and what not and nearly always get away with it without causing offense. The folks I asked about it seemed intrigued that someone actually makes it a business to study how accents work, though that’s not my main research as you know. My talk of languages continued with Constantine, the Russian cab driver, who talked about what a great international city Boston is and how Russian’s such an interesting language, which it absolutely is. The staff at the hotel spoke with me in Spanish from time to time, and I’d never heard the types of Spanish that some of these folks spoke. In a word, it was intriguing.

 

            I got to the hotel, The Boston Hilton Back Bay, and God’s sense of humor was visited upon me. I was originally booked into room 1700. Being the perverse person I am, I asked whether room 1701 was available. The poor hotel desk clerk had no idea why I would even ask, but she bemusedly rebooked my room assignment when I indicated I wanted 1701 instead. John, the concierge who walked with me up to 1701, understood immediately. Being a fan of the original star trek himself, he knew that 1701 is the serial number of the U.S.S. Enterprise, and his amusement was reserved but plain. My amusement was and is unreserved. So I wound up in 1701, what I call the Enterprise Room.

            I found the Hilton easy to get around. Most of what I needed was right off the lobby, and the Hilton employs so-called ‘journey ambassadors,’ roving concierges as it were whose job is to watch for guests who appear to need something and then to fill that need with dispatch. The first thing I needed was to find a relieving area for Delaney. John’s first suggestion was, “well, there’s a park a couple hundred yards down the way. That might work. “No, I’m afraid not. I settled on this poor, miserable little sapling planted in front of the hotel in its own patch of dirt. There is a row of trees in front of the hotel, and I’m sure in Spring they’re beautiful. When it’s 8 degrees in early January though, they’re probably not at their best. I had to train Delaney to pee and poop here, showing her that it was an ok spot and that, small as it was, it was all the spot she was going to get. I couldn’t let her range on her leash and walk back and forth, because on one side of the tree there was an active parking lane with cabs zooming in and out, while on the other side, guests arrived and left, walking up and down the sidewalk where I was standing. One illustrative moment happened the first day. There I am, bending down with a baggy over my freezing right hand,. A cab was pulling in at my left ear in the parking lane, and on my right side, I hear this cultured, older gentleman’s voice say in a classic Boston accent, “a bit backwaads, farthah back, there you aa.” Nice!

            Now on to food. I’ve had more clam chowder in the last five days than I’ve had in the last five months, and every bowl was delicious. The hotel’s chowder and that of the Cheesecake Factory were what I normally expect in a cream-based chowder, but the Summer Shack, a seafood restaurant adjacent to the hotel, has a spicy fish and crab chowder made with a dark rum that is to die for. The food was excellent overall, and I was able to find decent prices. My father watched me eating corned beef hash and eggs with some skepticism, but for my own part I liked it.

 

            The interviews started the next day. I first had to replace my convention badge. Then there was the question of how to get to the interviews. Had I chosen, I could have walked the extensive indoor mall of the Prudential Center and made it, eventually, to the Weston where the interviews were taking place. It was more practical, however, to take the ADA shuttle there and back. I needed to ask for directions to the ballroom and thence to the tables where my interviewers were sitting. That was not the easiest place to negotiate. In one case, a professor from one of my schools came to meet me at the door to the ballroom and took me to the table himself. I was not expecting that, and it was very kind of him. For the Grinnell interview, rather than going to the big exhibit ballroom where most interviews took place, I went to the 34th floor of the hotel. Thank Heaven there was braille signage on the doors, because I walked around that whole floor, Delaney in tow, before locating the room I needed. Note to blind job seekers everywhere:  get to the location early, always. Delaney attended all the interviews and she was perfectly behaved.

            The interviews themselves were challenging, but thanks to the extensive preparation and advice I had from my present and past professors, I went in loaded with information and strategies for dealing with the questions I knew would come. They happened in this order:  Kansas Thursday, Georgia and Grinnell on Friday. For each interview, I carried a manila folder containing stacks of photocopied course outlines, both for courses they have that I could teach and for courses they don’t have which I could offer. The Hilton’s staff was invaluable here, because I chose to use the business center to print and sort my materials. Each course outline was copied for the number of interviewers that were there, and the folders each contained different sets, depending on who got what course outlines. So every time a course was mentioned, the folder opened, and out came the outline. This is, I hope, being taken as evidence of my preparedness and forethought. With Georgia, it actually became humorous since course outlines just kept coming out. At one point, one interviewer asked, “now I’d like to switch gears a little bit and talk about Germanic linguistics. You don’t have anything about that in your folder, do you?” Pulling out sets of outlines for two relevant courses, I said, “I do, as it happens.” And in a follow-up question, another professor on that committee went, “my syllabus for next week isn’t finished yet. That’s not in your folder too, is it?” As I said, a humorous moment.

            The questions were not unusual, though one school did ask some disability-related questions. Rather than do what a blind professor friend of mine did and tell them they can’t ask those questions—the best way of insuring that you don’t get any more offers from them—I faced the questions head on, answered them calmly and thoroughly, and invited them to ask any other blindness-related questions they might have had. They seemed to appreciate my willingness to be open about my disability, and while there were no more questions bearing on blindness and my work, I suspect that how I handled those very tricky questions at the start may have set the tone for the rest of the interview. Let’s face it. The interview could have died right there, but I decided that openness and being receptive to their very real questions was a much sounder strategy than dwelling on what is or isn’t a ‘legal’ question or taking any offense at the questions they asked. While I wasn’t sure how that interview was going to go since it started there, I was pleased to see that it turned into a relaxing and enjoyable experience. That’s not to say the questions were easy. They weren’t. But I wasn’t caught flatfooted by anything. Mind you, I can think of better ways to answer just about everything I was asked, but while I am totally blind, my own hindsight is still 20/20.

 

            My father and his wife arrived in Boston Friday afternoon, and he took us to dinner at the Cheesecake Factory Friday evening where we all had rib eyes. Diabetes be darned, I had one of their cheesecakes. I felt bad for him, because I knew I was exhausted, worn-out from two interviews in one day. He understood though. I took that opportunity to tell him about Nicole’s and my wedding plans, and his reaction was good. While not without reservations, he said that, given all the contributing factors, it makes a certain logistical sense for us to marry when and where we are just so long as we don’t have kids right away. We’re going to take steps to see that we do not. So it was good to have his support, reserved though it might be. Having a job offer in hand would, of course, be much more ideal, and I’m working hard to see that happen.

            Yesterday, Saturday, was another important day. I was scheduled to present my dissertation data in a conference session. My father was apparently thrilled to see my name on the actual program. While I hadn’t thought about the fact that it was there, I suppose if I had a son, that would be a thrill for me too. I had to get the two of them special badges so that they could attend the session. It took place in the early afternoon, and only two of us made it in to present. I kept my presentation short, around 15 minutes. The questions I fielded were many, and my father, who was observing the audience, told me later that the audience was highly engaged with my material, nodding, looking at me as I spoke, etc. Overall, the presentation went very well, and for my part, I enjoyed the questions more than the talk. The talk, after all, I can give any time. I’ll give it at my doctoral defense, but not every audience has those people who will ask those questions.

 

            I passed a quiet evening last night. Though, I did venture out to the Summer Shack a block over. I wanted to have the full experience and to order food that I couldn’t get just anywhere, at Red Lobster, for example. So the fish and crab chowder was excellent, as was the swordfish. They also had bananas Foster, and I had it. I’d never had bananas Foster before. It’s the sort of dessert you see in the movies or in books, but no one seems to really serve it. What can I say? It was great! I had all this, including an appetizer of fried clams and a soft drink, for $50. I call that a bargain. So I recommend the Summer Shack at 50 Dalton Street in Boston if you’re ever in downtown.

 

            That’s it for Boston. Now, I keep my fingers crossed for callbacks. In this case they’ll be emails. The schools told me they’ll notify applicants from mid-January to early February depending on the school, and they intend, it seems, to let us know regardless of whether we succeed in being invited to a second-round interview. So, I’ll be praying now for second-round interviews. My thanks to all my professors, past and present, who have helped and who continue to help me prepare, and my thanks and love to Nicole, who literally watched all of this since the first cover letter was drafted over three months ago. Now, it’s time to head back to Champaign.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment