Tuesday, December 25, 2012

My Christmas Day Contemplations


            Good Morning Everybody, and Merry Christmas to all. Just as I posted a short blog entry back on Thanksgiving, I want to put up a short one today. Today of all days. First a bit of catch-up. Since I last posted anything, three of the places I applied to have contacted me for initial job interviews, the University of Georgia, Kansas State, and Grinnell College, a small, highly selective liberal arts college in eastern Iowa. That last isn’t a professor position. It’s a two-year postdoc for teaching and research. All of these interviews happen next week starting on Thursday in Boston. I have one final week to prepare, and I like to think I will use the time wisely. However, yesterday and today, I’ve resolutely stayed away from university-related things, because it is Christmas! It’s also my guide dog’s birthday today, and that’s just convenient. She’s a Christmas puppy, and this guarantees I can’t ever forget her birthday.

 

            Today what’s on my mind are the Christmas haters. I’m talking about the relatively small and very vocal minority of folks who think that Christmas should be done away with or at least that all public displays of Christmas that have any religious overtones whatever should be banned in case anyone, like themselves, gets offended. This would be laughable if it weren’t for the fact that many places across the country have banned everything from the singing of Christmas carols to displays of Christmas colors or nativity scenes, and the usual rout to use when taking away such things is the civil court. Here’s one example,  http://www.wnd.com/2004/12/28047/. That’s an old case, but things like it still go on. Just read that article and see what you think.

            Now, before I go on, let me pause to acknowledge one fact. I know that there are groups of people who, either collectively or individually, don’t celebrate Christmas in America. That’s fine. There have always been groups of people in this country who don’t celebrate it, and I don’t think they should have to if they don’t want to. I’m not going to go into their houses and make them exchange gifts or sing “O Come All Ye Faithful.” What I object to, vehemently and passionately, is this:  I can’t stand it when I see people trying to use the First Amendment as a weapon to take away my own First Amendment liberties.

            The First Amendment, in so far as it concerns freedom of religion, only guarantees two things. First, it guarantees that the government won’t impose a church on you. There will never be a First American Church with the president as its religious leader in the same way that the British monarch has headed the head of the Anglican church since Henry VIII. That won’t happen. It also guarantees that you can celebrate your religion in your own way as long as your religion doesn’t involve human sacrifice or other generally disruptive practices. I’m happy to say most don’t. So, you’ll never see the government banning the practice of Islam or Judaism or Hinduism or Roman Catholicism or Eastern Orthodoxy or Wicca. Leastways if a government makes that attempt, and there have been times when I wonder about Obama, anyone challenging the law based on the First Amendment would have an irrefutable case. That’s it! That’s all the First Amendment guarantees as far as religion is concerned. I’ve read it.

            So having said that, if you don’t celebrate Christmas, that’s fine. I celebrate it. My family celebrates it. Everyone I know personally celebrates it, and most of the people I’m only nodding acquaintances with (including quite a number of visitors from other countries) celebrate it. In fact, over 70% of people in this country celebrate it in some way, and I’m not even talking about the religious observances. My point is this:  we have that right. If I choose to wish someone a Merry Christmas, so be it. It’s on them to tell me they don’t celebrate it. My experience with this has been, however, that most ordinary folks who don’t observe Christmas, that is, most people not inclined to rush to court because you have a nativity painting on your door, will either return your ‘Merry Christmas’ in the spirit it was offered or they’ll tell you very nicely that they don’t celebrate Christmas, but they wish you a great holiday anyway. Either approach is just fine. As I said, I’m not trying to make anyone celebrate Christmas who doesn’t want to.

            Having said that, my patience with political correctness is limited in the extreme. The fact of the matter is that most folks in America celebrate Christmas in one way or another. That’s our right and we’ll continue to insist on it, but my question to Christmas haters is this:  what are you really objecting to? What exactly is wrong with a holiday that commemorates peace and good will towards one’s fellow human beings? The answer, of course, is nothing. So if I choose, as some professors of mine in the past have done, to have pictures of Christmas scenes on my desk or my office door, what of it? If my Jewish colleague across the way has a small menorah in their desk, is that supposed to offend me? Should I insist that that person not celebrate Chanukah because it imposes their morality on me? Should we German teachers, for example, not teach our students about German Christmas celebrations because someone in the classroom may not celebrate it? Of course not! This feels like common sense to me. But if there is one thing I have learned, it’s that common sense isn’t common at all.

            My one piece of advice to the Christmas haters in America is this. To quote Ebenezer Scrooge, “keep Christmas in your own way, and let me keep it in mine.” The difference here is that unlike the Christmas haters, I’ll actually leave you alone if you don’t celebrate it. God forbid that my home or neighborhood or town should celebrate it though. Then all hell breaks loose. I’m put in mind of the last line of James Finn Garner’s satirical poem “’Twas the Night Before Solstice.” Santa’s amused and exasperated parting words sum up my feelings about these people quite nicely, “Happy Christmas to all, but get over yourselves.”

No comments:

Post a Comment