Friday, November 16, 2012

God, Humanity, and Hell, Part 3: A Blind Believer Concludes His Discussion About Hell


Introduction:

            What a week! It’s been busy, stressful, and at times scary. Still I wouldn’t trade it in. My dissertation is humming along, and I’m leaving for Tennessee in just a few hours. First though, I have to finish this. This week was so hectic that I wasn’t sure I would meet my self-imposed deadline. You see, I wanted to post each essay in this cycle on Fridays starting with the first Friday in November. It looks like I made it, if only just.

 

            As I wrap up this series of essays on hell, I am reminded not only of what the bible says about it but what people say about it. Mark Twain once wrote, “it’s heaven for atmosphere and hell for company.” A popular rock song from the 1980’s refers to hell as “the promised land.” There’s a pervasive image out there in popular culture that us “narrow-minded Christians” will go to heaven, but they, seemingly all the really likable and interesting people, will be off in hell recounting their exploits and sipping cocktails. This imagery of hell, in one form or another, is everywhere, and it is in need of the same corrective discussion as the thinking that would dismiss hell altogether. It’s also a shame that we Christians have somehow developed this reputation as unloving and unlikable in many circles, but that is a whole other discussion. Imagining hell as a pleasant place and imagining it as a non-existent place are both so beyond the realm of truth that I for my part see little to distinguish between them from the perspective of truth. So as I write, I will be refuting both hell’s non-existence in terms of God’s attributes which I covered in post 1 [http://brad-lifesnippets.blogspot.com/2012/11/god-humanity-and-hell-part-1-blind.html] and our sinful nature in post 2 [http://brad-lifesnippets.blogspot.com/2012/11/god-humanity-and-hell-part-2-blind.html], but I will also attempt to correct, however insignificant my contribution may be, misconceptions about the actual nature and purpose of the place in hope that we may stop being so cavalier about it. As always, my scriptural quotations will be from the NIV and will be as thorough as I have tried to make them all along.

 

All Roads Lead to Heaven?

In his massive book Heaven, Randy Alcorn writes of a certain Indiana tombstone with this inscription:

Pause, stranger, when you pass me by:

As you are now, so once was I.

As I am now, so you will be.

So prepare for death and follow me.

It seems that someone else came along and added this:

To follow you I'm not content,

Until I know which way you went.

            I would love to be able to say, “all will be saved.” The truth is that I can’t say that. I can’t say it because the Lord himself does not say that. I have met many folks who think that hell is just something the Christians invented, maybe something those medieval churchmen came out with to scare supposedly ignorant and illiterate peasants into giving them money. I’ve met folks who dismiss hell as something Paul invented, because Paul is the favored whipping boy for many. Such thinkers will charge Paul and people after him with hell’s invention, while in the next breath they go on to depict Jesus as the great sage, the wise and gentle teacher, the one whose example we should follow instead of those “greedy churchmen.” Lastly, I’ve met Christian universalists who simply do not believe that Jesus’s sacrifice on the cross will fail to reconcile anyone’s sin. So, they argue, you will go to heaven in the end one way or the other because with what Jesus did on the cross, you can’t help but end up there. Yes, I have met all of these and more.

            The problem is that Jesus, gentle Jesus, says more about hell than anyone else in the bible. The Jesus Seminar would no doubt step in at this point and try to tell me that all of Jesus’s utterances about hell are inauthentic, thereby taking those words out of his mouth. I don’t buy it. If we take the biblical record as being accurate, and I do, then he talked about hell, and he had a great deal to say. Jesus tells us in very plain language that not only are some people not going to make it into heaven, most won’t get there: “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it” (Matthew 7:13-14). Later in that same chapter Jesus goes on to say this: “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you” (Matthew 7:21-23). So not only will most people not make it to heaven, some folks who think they are headed there because of all the great works they have done will be terribly surprised on that final day. There are other passages like these, but the important point is this: heaven is not a one-size fits all place. Not everyone is going there. In fact, most people won’t be going there, and that is one of the hardest truths. “Why wouldn’t he just let me in,” you might be asking? The answer is this: it’s not that Jesus doesn’t let people go through the doorway to heaven. The truth is simply that many won’t let him open the door for them.

If you are imprisoned for a crime, it may be that the governor or the president will pardon you. A pardon wipes away any and all punishment. There is just one catch. You have to accept a pardon for it to be valid. You can legally refuse to be pardoned, though why anyone would refuse a pardon is a whole other question. Jesus is not out to make things hard. But he does make it clear that many will not accept his pardon. The terms of that pardon are that we seek reconciliation and salvation through Christ alone. The pardon is indiscriminately available to you no matter your list of offenses. You need only accept it. How to do that is its own discussion, and I recommend seeking out local Christians or even me if you want to know more. The point I’m driving home right here is this: Jesus’s own words make it crystal clear that, whatever means of making it to heaven he sets up, many will choose to go their own way. That way lies hell. It is very tempting to get sidetracked into such questions as, “what about other religions,” or, “what about children who die,” but that way lies a whole set of other discussions, and I am only presenting the Christian arguments for hell with responsible readers in mind, that is, readers old enough to know right from wrong and to make principled choices. Jesus also said of himself: “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the father except through me” (John 14:6). If he really did say those words i.e. if the bible is an accurate account of what he said, then they either are or they are not true. That’s the funny thing about truth. So-called fuzzy logic systems aside,  it admits exactly two possibilities, true and not true. Since we Christians hold the bible to be an accurate record of Jesus’s words, it follows for us that those words are true. And being true, he excludes all other “ways” as leading to heaven. So if any method of getting to heaven fails to recognize Jesus as the doorway into heaven, it is false, a one-way street, a dead end. Not all roads lead to the same place. Even when it’s said that all roads used to lead to Rome, it must be added that while that was true, you still had to travel in the proper direction to get there. All roads do not lead to heaven.

 

The Ultimate Sentence:

            When not making fun of hell or disavowing its existence altogether, most people who take issue with God and Christianity on the basis of hell have in their minds a picture of some poor trembling soul, begging and pleading, who is cast shrieking into hell by an unforgiving deity. This is an understandable picture of judgment even if it, thankfully, isn’t quite accurate. I used to imagine that going to hell happened in just that way myself. Such a picture of hell overlooks God’s mercy, however, and the price he paid to be able to extend that mercy. By ‘price’ I mean His death once for all on the cross. In any case, that conception of judgment as a sentence handed down from on high may embody holiness or righteousness, but it is hard to find God’s mercy in such a picture.

            So let us consider what the son of God says about those who go to hell. In the twelfth chapter of John, Jesus says this: “If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world. There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; the very words I have spoken will condemn them at the last day” (John 12:47-48). This passage takes some careful teasing to pick it apart accurately. Jesus almost sounds as though he says he doesn’t judge anyone, and yet he says that he does? It can be confusing. The key to understanding this passage lies in the second half of verse 48: “the very words I have spoken will condemn them at the last day.” When Jesus speaks of ‘my word’ or my words,’ we understand him to mean his teachings. When he speaks of ‘accepting’ those words, He doesn’t just mean that there is an expectation that someone believes them, but that they uphold and practice those teachings as well. So then, our eternal reward or punishment, he says here, isn’t based on how he personally feels towards us. That is already certain. He loves us with an everlasting love. The measuring stick that will be used is the extent to which we accepted, i.e. upheld, his teachings, or else the extent to which we did not do so. Now then, I realize, and Jesus certainly realizes too, that we are imperfect and will, even on our best days, be but imperfect followers of Him who are in need of his grace and mercy. Let us assume that Omniscience knows this and has taken it into account. If you know an examination is coming and you do not prepare for it by study and careful application of the principles and concepts involved, you will not pass, and it doesn’t matter how much the teacher likes you. You would still fail. So, we know that those who fail to gain heaven have failed, not because God is arbitrary and whimsical, but because they failed to accept and follow the teachings of Christ, the standard of measure by which we will all be judged. He says in verse 47 above that his purpose is to save. Not all will be saved. That is abundantly clear. He claims he is the only way to heaven, and if so, it follows that many will not believe him and will elect to find their own ways. Nevertheless, His purpose is to save, and he will discern among us based on who accepted His words and who rejected them. In the end, those who go to hell choose it, because they choose their own paths. They choose paths apart from Christ. Hell is heaven refused, not damnation imposed.

 

Hell as Mere Nothingness:

Why is it that many people I have met believe that hell means an end to all existence? I don’t mean folks who believe there’s nothing at all after death. I have met people who talk about heaven in vague and nebulous ways, but in ways that tell the listener they believe they’ll be conscious and have some sort of existence in heaven. Yet when they speak of hell, they have this notion that hell simply means a cessation of everything. No consciousness, no experience, no nothing. Annihilation. In one way this is a comforting notion. If we think of death as a never-ending sleep, it sounds rather restful. More to the point, if we think of hell as obliteration, a reduction to nothingness, this may comfort some people. You can’t object to being nothing, because you will feel no pain and non-existence won’t bother you once you achieve it. The terrible truth is that the biblical picture of hell is a bit different.

Jesus describes hell in graphic terms. Was he trying to be frightening? I find hell frightening. It’s heartbreaking. As Randy Alcorn once wrote in Heaven, “The reality of Hell should break our hearts and take us to our knees and to the doors of those without Christ.” The story of Lazarus and the rich man (Luke 16:19-31) is most revealing. It is not a parable, and Jesus doesn’t start the story with “Hell is like,” or, “Hell is like unto.” He narrates the story in a straightforward, “this is how it really is,” fashion. Let me quote the story here and note a few things about it:

There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores. The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire. But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.“ He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’ Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’ ‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’ He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’’

 

            Keep in mind that Jesus was telling this story before his own death and resurrection, before there was Christianity. So he very obviously believed in a hell and that people went there. In this story, “Moses and the Prophets” is understood by Jesus’s hearers to refer to the scriptures. At that time the bible would have been the Torah or what Christians call the Old Testament. So what the figure of Abraham is saying is that if Lazarus’s brothers won’t heed the words of the bible, sending Lazarus back from the dead won’t do any good either.

            There are several things to note about hell and about the rich man. First, he is conscious and in possession of his powers of reason. He is not a mindless zombie. He is a reasoning being with a will and desires that he wants fulfilled. He is going to keep on wanting, I’m afraid, for the hell of hell, so to speak, is desire that can never be fulfilled. Miserable as that picture is, it remains a far cry from nothingness. Secondly, hell is a physical place. The rich man speaks of Abraham’s sending Lazarus across the chasm between heaven and hell to comfort him. Abraham also mentions the chasm, telling the rich man  that it cannot be crossed in either direction. So then, however other worldly hell is, it is depicted as having a physical dimension.

            To take it a step further, perhaps you also noticed that Lazarus is still called Lazarus, but the rich man isn’t given a name. This suggests to me that whatever we retain of self-awareness and of mind in hell, we lose our essential identities. Jesus didn’t forget the rich man’s name; he left it out to make a point. The significance of that soul had dwindled to such a vanishingly small proportion that even his name was no longer relevant. In The Problem of Pain, C. S. Lewis envisioned it this way, “To enter heaven is to become more human than you ever succeeded in being on earth; to enter hell is to be banished from humanity.” Finally, a point so obvious it hardly needs to be stated, the rich man is suffering. Hell is not a party, not a place where people will go and knock back drinks and reminisce about life on earth. Jesus talks about hell being a place of endless torment (Matthew 25:46). Finally, the rich man in our story is alone. This lonely rich man is juxtaposed with Lazarus who is shown as being with Abraham. What do we make of this? In heaven there is company, the best company and forever more. Hell is solitary confinement. Some will say, “at least we’ll be together there.” Maybe so, but the man in hell is forever alone, isolated in suffering. There is no upside to hell. There is no hope and no reprieve. There is no good in hell, no nobility in suffering. Sometimes people express the wish that God would just leave them alone. Hell is, alas, the place where he does that. But there is no good there without the creator of good. As a character in Randy Alcorn’s novel Deadline once understood it, “No God. No good. Forever.”

 

Sentenced to Eternity:

            The final objection to hell that I am choosing to confront is the notion of an eternal punishment. How, the objection runs, can we posit a deity who would leave you to suffer in hell forever and ever, no matter what sins you may have committed in your brief lifetime? From a human standpoint, it is a good question. The underlying accusation against God seems to be that if we wouldn’t countenance such a thing, surely God, if he has any morals at all, wouldn’t do such a thing either and if he would, well, he must not be God.

            This is perhaps the hardest question about hell I have confronted. The first thing to remember is that we cannot stack our sense of morality and justice up against God’s and expect ours to look better. It just doesn’t work that way. If he indeed is absolutely holy and absolutely just, and we are not, presumably he has some inside information about morality and justice that we don’t happen to have. Yet, we reason because God reasons, and we have a rudimentary notion of justice because God is just. So I think we may come a bit nearer to the answer than to stop at, “God knows best. Leave it alone.” Though often times that is the answer we’re stuck with.

            If we think of hell as the continuation of the human story, as heaven continues our story in God’s presence, then the injustice of hell becomes an unsolvable problem. I don’t think that it is any sort of continuation, however. Hell is spoken of as a place of finality. We often speak of heaven and hell as though we might one day sit in heaven and say, “people are suffering in hell right now.” But I am not convinced that the sufferings of hell run in parallel to the joys of heaven. Hell is the final and tragic end of a story, not a bad sequel to that story. Finally, hell endures forever because in it, our sin endures forever. If you never cure the cancer, the cancer never goes away. If our sin is never forgiven, because we don’t accept the forgiveness i.e. the pardon I mentioned earlier, than our sin continues to separate us from God in hell. The difference is that in hell there is no more opportunity to receive the pardon. This life is the life of second chances, the era of choice. Heaven and hell represent the era of consequence that stems from the choices we made here. I’ll close this discussion with a final question that stems from this notion of an unjust eternal punishment. Why are there no second chances? The truth is that there are. Every day you live on earth is yet another day filled with endless opportunity to seek the truth, to knock on the door as it were. Death stops the game clock. There are no more shots allowed after the final buzzer. Lastly, to take a metaphor from C. S. Lewis, often times a teacher knows it is no good letting someone retake an exam for the third or fourth or fifth time even if the student or their parents think otherwise. If second chances after death would do us good, I believe they would be given. But finality has to come sometime, and it is not too great a stretch to suppose that the omniscient God knows when that should be. We must all face death and receive our reward, good or bad, for what we have done and how we have lived in life, “for death is the destiny of everyone; the living should take this to heart” (Ecclesiastes 7:2). A related passage is found in Hebrews 9:27 which tells us that people are destined to die once (no second chances) and to face their judgment. Be ready for that day, because its coming is inevitable.

 

Conclusion:

            I have not been trying to prove the doctrine of hell as tolerable or enjoyable. It is neither. It is terrible, and if I myself could remove it from Christian doctrine, I would probably do so. Then again, I am not holy and not just in the ways that God is holy and just. So, it’s probably a good thing I don’t make cosmic decisions. To those who would disavow hell because it seems unpleasant, I would remind them that truth, contrary to what relativists like to believe, is as it is, and was always as it was, regardless of how we feel about it. You can argue with it, reject it, put your own spin on it, or you can accept it, but you cannot change it. It is what it is and will be what it will be long after you and I are gone.

            While hell remains a terrible and frightening consequence, I think I have demonstrated that on the Christian view it is moral and has the support of reason. When we properly understand God’s holiness and his justice in combination with his love and mercy, what is startling is not that some go to hell. Where else would sinners go? Rather, it becomes amazing that anyone gets to heaven. So I would encourage you to seek out a bible and read what it says about how to take care of your sin problem. That book contains the cure, and seek out a local church that teaches the bible as truth. I was originally going to close this post with the plan of salvation as it is presented in the bible, but that discussion deserves its own separate forum. I don’t expect to tackle it any time soon. My blog is not a religious blog, and I have come to the end of what I set out to do, explain why Christians believe in hell. That much, at least, I have done. Strictly speaking, I haven’t been attempting to persuade anyone of anything. You are as free to argue with what I have said as with any other information presented to you, but my job here has been to answer, as completely as I was able, the question of why there has to be a hell in a universe created and sustained by a loving and merciful God. For further discussion on the issue of hell, I recommend the eighth chapter of C. S. Lewis’s The Problem of Pain. In addition, I recommend chapter 3 of Randy Alcorn’s book Heaven as well as chapter 29 of his book If God is Good: Faith in the Midst of Suffering and Evil, which discusses the subject as well. Those references should get you started, and from there I hope you go on to try and understand heaven, the home of humanity. Next time I will return to much lighter fare.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment