Monday, June 20, 2011

a quick update

Just looking back at my blog, I see it’s been two months, almost exactly two months, since I posted anything. Not to say I haven’t been writing, no indeed. Rather, what I’ve written has been mostly for the benefit of professors and myself. Or rather, I’ve benefited when the professors read and assign grades to what I’ve written. May was a turbulent month. May usually is, seeing as it’s always the end of a semester,, but this May was especially hectic. For some time my summer funding was in doubt, and I was seriously contemplating the possibility of begging. Well, maybe not begging, but the university took its time deciding whether or not to rectify its own mistakes where my funding was concerned. Well, we got there in the end. My funding’s guaranteed through next May, so the public food banks will have to wait on me another year.
            Nick came up in May, and that made May better than it otherwise was going to be. I also co-taught a summer course in May, and I haven’t heard from my fellow TA since we wrapped it up on the 27th. Humph. I’ll undoubtedly see them all in August. Meanwhile, this summer, oh boy, this summer. My dissertation’s lit review will get pumped out this summer, little as I’m looking forward to that. And I’m completing the capstone translation project for the graduate certificate in translation studies that will be attached to my records. For it, I’ve written my own translation of Franz Kafka’s “Ein Hungerkünstler.” Poor Nicole was kind enough to sit through the text. And speaking of Nicole …
            She’s here. She got here on June 3, after a Greyhound trip that featured multiple delays and lasted a full 36 hours. Horrid. She got here and slept for the better part of a day, and I felt myself obligated to run out and buy her some chocolates to make up for the horribly long trip. We’ll be here until the 18th of July, when we take off for North Carolina and a week with her parents. Before we leave, Nick and Chris Hailey will come up the first weekend in July and we’ll all do something for the fourth. Probably something involving the hand cut ribeye steaks in my freezer. I think Nicole will feel outnumbered by the males in the house, but she’s learning that her vote is usually the only one that counts anyway, her being a woman and all. Though in fairness to Nicole, when I showed her the draft of this blog, she said that it’s not whether or not her vote counts that she’s contemplating, but rather as she puts it, “the sheer amount of maleness,” that will be in the house. I had to chuckle.
The only other event of the summer I should mention briefly here is the upcoming star trek convention in Nashville at the end of July. Needless to say, I’ll be there and can’t wait for it. Still, the convention is such a rare and special thing that it will get its own blog entry when it happens. Meanwhile, I’ve put together a few thoughts on Deep Space Nine, and I’ll probably take Nicole’s wise advice and publish them as a two or three-part post, rather than in a single post that runs for 10 pages, as some of my others have done. And there’s a non-trek-related blog post in the making, and it will be coming up soon. This here is just a friendly update to let you, whoever you are, know that I’m still here and still writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment